Tuesday, March 08, 2005

An Unwanted Decision

Just three days ago, I found myself in a very tight situation. It all started when I decided to audition in a prestigious solo dance competition in TV. Out of around 80 who auditioned that day, I was included to the 4 dancers who passed. I really have a passion for dancing and I felt so good passing the audition. And the day they came when I had to sign a contract for the competition. My hopes were high until I heard that the rehearsals can be as tough as from 10 am - 1 am of the next day. Some of the people there even said our rehearsals can go on ‘til 5 am. I started feeling sad and asking the other dancers if I should continue. They all said that this is once in a lifetime opportunity and I shouldn't let this slip away. They even said I have a great chance of winning this competition. After hearing them, I stood firm and stayed with them and signed the contract. I continued my thinking and thought that my studies will really suffer, my parents will be mad at me and they will not, for sure, give me my everyday allowance if I continue, and so many other things to consider. I felt that I still have an obligation to my parents and that is to finish my studies. We are about to go to the dance guru that would train us that time and our handler asked me again if I wanna continue. She asked me 3 times before I made that very tough decision. I turned down the contract. Everybody, even the ones I don't know were shocked and were telling me I made the wrong decision. They were telling that I really have a great chance in the competition. But I made up my mind. I walked back to my car shocked and feeling so down. From that day ‘til yesterday I felt so sad. I felt that I have lost a lot; the group of friends I should've had; that once in a lifetime experience; the chance of being successful in what I really love to do; the opportunity I have always waited. This decision was kind of new to me… a decision that gave me a really hard time to make and after doing it even tormented me. It’s really hard to take. Nevertheless, with the help of benign people around me and with God's guidance, I finally got over it choosing to live my life to the fullest. A part of me may still be sad but I know that's only because the fruits of my decision is still in the pretty far future... and I know, that fruit is gonna be sweeter than the upshot of the other decision. The best things for me are yet to come and I'm gonna live my life preparing for them.

2 comments:

eL said...

wow that's a tough decision to make, especially if you love dancing. but everything has a reason...Ü good luck with living your life to the fullest! ;)

Milton Stanley said...

"Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart" (Ps. 37:5). I'll be praying that God brings you success in your dancing in his time. Keep on dancing -- and walking with God.